The Quirky Ladies is a group of eclectic (and dare I say quirky?) ladies who are passionate about writing romantic fiction. All types of romantic fiction...paranormal, fantasy, historical, erotic and contemporary. Bring it on!

Monday, January 26, 2009

No, really, I'm going to blog. I mean it.

This blog is turning into something of an epic undertaking for me. I'm sure when it's done, it won't look like much more than the usual sort of blog, but honestly, the distance I've traveled to get to this point is ridiculous.

I started my first blog, a veritable sonnet to how happy I was not to spend this past weekend shoveling, while I was at work. Yes, at work, in my office, doing something they most certainly do NOT pay me to do. Don't tell, okay? So anyway, I'm sitting there, waxing poetic about the 12 inches of fluffy white powder that didn't fall on Saturday (but apparently will again soon) when my boss comes in and sits down to talk. Ugh. I minimized the screen quickly, and he didn't see anything, but by the time he was done talking, it's safe to say I'd lost my mojo.

And like a fool, I exited without saving.

Fast forward to later on in the afternoon, when I tried to get my blog on once more. This time, my commentary was driven entirely by a bizarre conversation I'd just had with my husband about his parents. I know all in-laws are weird, but seriously, mine are in a league reserved for the very most special people. It was a good article, a dang funny blog, the general contents of which will no doubt make it onto your screen at some point, but then I ran out of time, had a meeting and I had to shut down to take my laptop with me to present and, well...

Like a fool, I exited without saving.

Fast forward again to when I get home after a long day of work - because contrary to the opinion you've no doubt formed about me and my blogging issues at work, I actually did spend a great deal of time working hard. Before I can get home, though, I go to a friend's house to visit for 45 minutes with my architect (there is a blog subject there, too) after which I get to my house just in time to feed my son and get him to bed and read him a story and soothe him goodnight and and and... Finally, I sit down at my computer, start to type, and do that super-freak thing where I hit just the WRONG two keys at the same time and my browser goes back a page, thus blowing away my entire blog entry on the importance of achieving work-life balance.

Honestly, there was a moment where I couldn't decide if I was going to laugh or cry. Fortunately, laughter won out, but only because my husband was giving me that 'oh dear God, she's going to lose it - grab the baby and run!' look and I was feeling contrary enough to not let him be right.

In case you're wondering, I have learned my lesson. I've been hitting save periodically throughout this entire writing process. There is some famous quote about insane people doing the same thing three times and expecting a different result. I don't want to be that person.

So that's it. That's all I'm going to blog about today - blogging. Wikipedia (the source of all truths on the internet) defines the blog as a Web site, usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video.

By this definition, I now count myself a blogger. Woo hoo!

4 comments:

Penny Watson said...

Great first blog, Kate! It is hilarious (my kids asked me why I was laughing so hard). When you lose stuff on your computer, you have two options...laugh or cry. I cried like a baby when I lost my entire email account, but later when my son pointed out that all of the rejections I've received were miraculously "deleted" from my life, I had to crack a smile. Maybe things happen for a reason. Good luck!

Dalton Diaz said...

Thank you! Because of your post, I hit save repeatedly and didn't lose a thing. See? Blogging works!

Dalton

Anonymous said...

Blogging can only go uphill from here. Hilarious.

Tara Truesdale said...

Great job, Kate! I can relate to the craziness of struggling with work/life balance, and your life is way more complicated than mine. I'm not sure what that says about me. LOL! You may not think so, but you are a marvel. Good luck with the out-laws, I mean in-laws.